Pop Culture Last Supper


Dave MacDowell once again makes my brain hurt with his pop culture-stuffed paintings, this time a Popped Culture favourite, the Last Supper. Is that Robert Redford's The Candidate as Judas and Olivia Newton-John's Sandy as the apostle John, (or Mary Magdelene)?

The rest, from the left: Optimus Prime, Chewbacca, Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette from True Romance, Johnny Depp from 21 Jump Street, Brad Pitt from Fight Club, Andy Wharol, Cornelius from Planet of the Apes and Hong Kong Phooey. Not sure who is on the far right. Anyone?

Previously on Popped Culture...

9 comments:

  1. "Johnny Depp from 21 Jump Street"

    I think that's from Cry Baby, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's Johnny Depp from Crybaby.

    And that's not Optimus Prime on the far left. That's Soundwave. At the bottom is Muttley from Laff-O-Lympics and Ravage from Transformers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys do me proud! And Cry Baby makes much more sense for a MacDowell painting. Still looking for the name of the person on the bottom right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the person on the right is Adam Ant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeremy! Nikki Sixx on the right and it's JFK with the hole in his head, but it does look more like Robert Redford for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, Kennedy, of course! ANd I'm honoured to have you commenting here, Dave and embarrassed at my late-night postings.

    I hope to see some of your work in person someday. Have you ever shown in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
  7. With your wealth of pop-art cult knowledge and cool artists, you should curate an art show! I'd be honored to contribute a few sick pieces for the event Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, that would be fun, but I've no experience whatsoever. Still, it plants a seed in the back of my mind... Thanks for the vote of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soundwave was my favorite Decepticon. He was both loyal and intelligent.

    Yeah, Jeremy would be a good host or background writer for a pop culture art show, such as those at Gallery 1988.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+