Boot Hill For King of The Hill

It's the end of the line for the Hill family of Arlen, Texas, after 13 years. Most TV shows don't make it that long, let alone cartoon. It would be a remarkable run were it not airing at the same time as The Simpsons, the juggernaut of the cartoon world.

The show was never as flashy as The Simpsons or as edgy as South Park or Family Guy, yet it carved out its own niche as an almost-realistic animated show. It was that realism that made the show unique in the 2D world. Characters felt real emotions and, most unusually, time progressed. Bobby grew older (ok, not 13 years older, but still) and characters changed. I was stunned when Nancy Gribble ended her 14-year dalliance with native "healer" John Redcorn and renewed her vows with her conspiracy-obsessed husband Dale. Changing a major focus of a character is just not done.

But all good things must come to an end and the show has had a good run — already having survived once cancellation from Fox. Hopefully the network allows for a finale, but I'll be happy if they just end the show like any other episode and I can go on believing that these congenial, redneck suburbanite Texans are carrying in the alley as normal. Yep.

4 comments:

  1. Though their plug has been pulled I suspect we haven't seent he last of them - 13 seasons ensures their spot int he tv syndication cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a doubt. I'm sure my kid will be watching them after school in the future, the same way I watched the Flintstones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be more than happy for them to drop American Dad and Family guy instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad that King of the Hill has made it to the end of the line. Quite frankly, of the prime time cartoons it was the only one that was consistently good. I can't remember a bad season of the show. That's more than I can say for The Simpsons (although I am still a big fan of that show). And I never have developed a taste for either Family Guy or American Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+