Eye TV vs. Ear TV

All television is either Eye TV or Ear TV, argues Entertainment Weekly columnist Mark Harris. "Eye TV is intense: You care about it so much that not only do you know when it is on, you actually watch it when it is on. And you really watch it -- forks down, phones away, laptops idle.

"Most television os Ear TV. It's what you have on in the background while you are surfing the Internet or answering email or cleaning up... it never matters if it is a repeat or not."

That's as accurate a description of how I watch TV that I've ever heard. I'd say 90% of the shows I watch are done with a computer on my lap. Most of them either aren't compelling enough to give my full attention to or just don't require that much concentration.

There are, of course, exceptions. Lost requires that I close the laptop and watch closely. There is so much packed into each episode that if I look down I inevitably need to rewind to find out what was said, and I have to do that enough on the show to piece together all the connections.

I also give both by eyes and ears to 30 Rock and My Name is Earl, two shows that pile on laughs and clever lines so thick that it is impossible to do anything else but watch.

While not in the realm of this shows, the now-lamented jPod was quickly becoming Eye TV for me. Quirky and sly, it was a show I made a point of paying attention to. But not enough people were and it wasn't granted a second season. Now there is a growing group of people trying to save the show, of which I count myself as one. I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a shot.

Save jPod!
Save jPod petition
jPod ipetition
Facebook: jpod
Facebook: Save jPod Now!
Defendoid
Neotronic Arts
Cowboy's blog
VanCity Players
Coupland
Ebay Neighborhood
Kam Fong Blog
JPod Info

2 comments:

  1. I think Harris is absolutely right. There is a lot of times that I simply have the television on in the background. There are only a few shows I actively watch--Lost, House, 30 Rock. Most of the time the TV is just background noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I live alone, I'm definitely guilty of using TV for background, especially since I'm usually working on marking papers or something similar.

    Thanks for linking to savejpod.ca, by the way--our campaign and our petition are really starting to gain momentum, and it's all because of people like you, who are blogging about it. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+