Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis

Could there be an eighth Harry Potter novel after all? Just five months after the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling has dropped a hint that she might not be done with the wizarding world.

Rowling told Time magazine in a year-end interview: "There have been times since finishing, weak moments, when I've said 'Yeah, all right' to the eighth novel.”

Okay, it’s not much to pin your hopes on but fans need something to cling to in this now Harry Potter-less land. I’ve spent many a summer afternoon in a hammock reading through the increasingly hefty tomes and I can’t satisfy my interests by waiting for Tristan to be old enough for me read them to him.

Rowling created such a lush, detailed universe that there must be a multitude of characters and stories to tell. Which is what the author may have in mind. "If, and it's a big if, I ever write an eighth book, I doubt that Harry would be the central character. I feel I've already told his story,” said Rowling. “But these are big ifs. Let's give it ten years."

She did drop some other tidbits, which shows how developed the universe already is, such as where the main characters end up inbetween the final battle of Hallows and the epilogue:

"I do have it all worked out in my mind because I couldn't stop myself doing that," Rowling told Time. "Harry and Hermione are at the Ministry: he ends up leading the Auror department. Ron helps George at the joke shop and does very well. Ginny becomes a professional Quidditch player and then sportswriter for the Daily Prophet.”

Wait 10 years for more? I suppose I'll have to. Anything that brings children closer to Satanism, right?

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. J. K. Rowling created one of the most complex, most fascinating fantasy worlds in recent memory. She could write quite a few novels based in the world. And not a one of them would have to feature Harry. There has to be a number of stories she could tell set in that world.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+