Schmooze Free Festival Schmooze

So Samuel L. Jackson and I were talking over beers last night about how he ended up acting with Christina Ricci in two upcoming films and how her career seems on the upswing. Oh wait, not really. I did stand about a foot away from Jackson and I had a beer in hand, but that’s as close as it got.

It turns out I don’t know how to schmooze. I was at the Star Festival Schmooze Party, blogging on behalf of Star (read my stream of consciousness blather), which gave my access all over the building. I wandered from the red carpet to the VIP room, but when I encountered celebs I tended to clam up and smile politely. Very Canadian of me.

After 10 years of Toronto Film Festival attendance, it was interesting to see how the other half parties. Quite honestly, I don’t know how people hit movies and parties all week and my guess is they don’t. I had to skip our Friday film to make this party, which is probably why they release so many reserved seats in theatres to the rush line. Cinema takes a backseat to an open bar.

There were a number of names at the party: Eugene Levy, Sarah Polley, Don McKellar, Billy Connolly, Shawn Ashmore, Chantal Kreviazuk, and the Canadian Idol judges among others. I heard Douglas Coupland was about but I didn’t see him. Anway once the red carpet wound up and my work was done I was able to meet up with some Dose friends, including their TIFF blogger Jen, and Command N podcast superstar Amber MacArthur. We then chatted with CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. Maybe I know how to schmooze after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe
Google+