No Time For Losers

I’m not a big hockey fan, which means I’m not a very good Canadian. But there I was watching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I watched it at a downtown bar named C’est What and drank Hemp Ale microbrew, but I watched it nonetheless.

Anyway, the Edmonton Oilers went down to the Carolina Hurricanes (who?) and I spent my time wondering how Queen became such a sports fixture. As all the Carolina Canadians were laying their lips upon the Holy Grail, the sounds of “We Are the Champions” filled the arena. No time for losers, indeed. I can’t be sure, but I think I may have heard “We Will Rock You” as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like listening to Queen every once in awhile (and hollering Bohemian Rhapsody at karaoke if truth be told), but isn’t it time for a new sports anthem? And that Smashmouth song doesn’t count.

Maybe it’s the fact that only 20-second snippets get played during games, but there are some generally terrible songs being played at sports events:

“Who Let The Dogs Out” - Baha Men
“Get Ready For This” - 2 Unlimited
“Whoomp! There It Is” - Tag Team
“Na Na Na Na (Kiss Him Goodbye)” – Steam
“Final Countdown” - J. Tempset
“Rock and Roll Part 2” - Gary Glitter

The only song adopted by sportos that I still enjoy listening is Blur’s “Song 2,” which appears to have been rescued from pogoing frat boys. As for the rest, I protect myself by not watching sports.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 20, 2006

    I would like to suggest the 50 cent/Lil' Kim duet of "Magic Stick" as an idea song for hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 21, 2006

    See, that's why I think the NFL/NFL films had the right idea when it came to music. Instead of using popular songs, they derived their own.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+